Who is covered?
- All domestic workers in South Africa working in a private household
- People employed by employment services
- Independent contractors who are doing domestic work
- A person doing gardening in a private home
- People who look after children, sick or old people and people with disabilities in a private home
- A person driving for the household
But excluding –
- Domestic workers employed on farms
- Domestic workers employed in activities covered by another sectoral determination or bargaining council agreement (such as contract cleaning workers).
Are you in Area A or Area B?
Area A includes most major metropolitan areas; Area B is all other areas. See the full lists on the Department of Labour website http://www.labour.gov.za/DOL/downloads/legislation/sectoral-determinations/basic-conditions-of-employment/domesticwages2016_2017.pdf
This article is a general information sheet and should not be used or relied upon as professional advice. No liability can be accepted for any errors or omissions nor for any loss or damage arising from reliance upon any information herein. Always contact your financial adviser for specific and detailed advice. Errors and omissions excepted (E&OE)